What's a "B" Corp?
You may be asking yourself, “What’s a ‘B’ Corp?” No, it’s not a fancy club or rigorous bootcamp. The “B” actually stands for benefit. According to BCorporation.Net, “Certified B Corporations are a new kind of business that balances purpose and profit. They are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. This is a community of leaders, driving a global movement of people using business as a force for good.” Avid4 Adventure is currently in the process of applying to become a Certified B Corp.
Certified B Corporations are leading a global movement that holds businesses accountable when it comes to their environmental and social influence. This certification allows for mission-driven companies to expand their purpose beyond profit to include general and public benefit as well. More often, people are understanding the importance of working for, buying from and investing in companies that are transparent and align with their values. In-turn, they are making more informed decisions. Our hope with becoming a Certified B Corp is to hold our organization even more accountable when it comes to the results (often a chain reaction) of our business decisions. It will also provide us with a more intentional blueprint to follow and offers access to the growing community of other Certified B Corps.
Our Journey to Becoming a Certified B Corp
We are taking calculated strides toward greater outdoor advocacy, taking better care of our public lands and improved social impact. So far our journey to becoming a Certified B Corp has included:
Taking the B Impact Assessment
Engaging our staff in the conversation and involving them in the process to become certified
Forming working groups, analyzing the assessment and developing action plans to see where our organization could improve in the areas below. So far we have focused on:
- Avid4 Adventure owners have committed to developing a plan to ensure that the company remains a Certified B Corporation indefinitely
- We now have documentation of how current wages compare to minimum wages and living wages in the different geographic locations that we operate which will help inform future decisions on hourly wages
- Developed an environmental purchasing policy
- Conversations with our upstream supply chain have begun to analyze their business practices when it comes to these categories (which may potentially begin the process of them becoming Certified B Corporations as well)
- Developed a volunteer tracking initiative to understand current volunteer hours contributed by the organization and to set goals that can be reached in the future
- Started initiative for headquarters staff to volunteer as a team at least once a month during the off-season
Submitting our completed assessment
Though Avid4 Adventure has not yet received the official certification, we are well on our way! Once certified, Avid4 Adventure would be the only summer camp that is a Certified B Corp in the state of Colorado and second in the entire United States.
We would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. Now that you’ve been introduced to the B Corp movement, spread the word to others by clicking the share button below to share this post with your networks!
Avid4 Adventure offers summer Day Camps in Boulder, Lafayette, Superior, Denver, Lowry, Stapleton, Greenwood Village, Highlands Ranch, Golden, Castle Rock and Colorado Springs, Colorado; Burlingame, Mill Valley, Moraga, Oakland and Palo Alto in the Bay Area of California; and Portland, Oregon. Overnight Camp locations include Evergreen and Bailey, Colorado with a newly expanded offering of Expedition programs. To receive more information, click the link below.